Saturday, October 22, 2011

Surfer Surrender

On the north shore of O'ahu, in the town of Haleiwa, the surfers and skateboarders who love Jesus have found a very cool way to communicate it.


With this strong graphic logo printed on a rubber bracelet (perfect for surfers who spend most of their waking hours in the water) they express a core Christian concept: He is greater than I.  This idea is backed up by the scripture printed on the other side of the bracelet, John 3:30, "He must increase and I must decrease."

I've seen this dramatic mark on vehicle windows and tailgates around town, but not nearly as frequently as I see Christian logos on cars in Texas.  Hawai'i is nowhere near the Bible belt.  Christians here are much fewer and much further between.  As a result, I wonder if they are stronger?

Most of the surfers I knew in high school wore crosses or crucifixes, but the significance was mostly superstitious.  There's a lot of that here in Hawai'i as well.  It's a veritable smorgasbord of religious persuasions, including a lot of DIY spirituality.

But this is where I met the Lord in the most significant way ever before, as a teenager, and I know He does great things for and through His island people.  That's why I even dare to leave my daughter here, with her aunt and uncle and cousins and grandmom, and a church that believes God's Word.  Jesus is lord here, and His influence is growing more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment